GrimmSpeed Cold Air Intake (BRZ & FRS)
GrimmSpeed Cold Air Intake for BRZ & FRS
Design requirements for this intake were simple: The intake must not only be safe for the engine, but perform well both with and without tuning. The intake must be able to be installed quickly, without removal of the bumper. The intake must produce horsepower and torque gains throughout the RPM range, not just on the top end. Justification for the first is obvious, we want you to be able to bolt it on and go, without worrying about your air-fuel ratios and engine safety. Justification for the second came after installing other intakes, only to have our front bumper never fit the same way again. A little research showed that this was a common issue. Yuck.
- The design of this intake started with months of hands-on research. Follow this link to see the extensive testing that we did on the factory intake setup pressure differentials. Follow this one to see the dyno testing that we did with the stock airbox in a number of different configurations. The entire development of the intake is chronicalled in great detail in our FT86Club thread where members helped with major design decisions. After the research stages and the determination that there was a gap in the intake market, we got to work with design. Using our FARO Arm, we were able to MAP the engine bay in 3D to ensure a perfect fitment. We used that working envelope to maximise performance by eliminating the 90 degree bend just before the airbox. We found that this contributed to decreased resistance, but also helped with accurate MAF readings. We placed the MAF sensor inside the airbox to ensure that the heat from the motor and headers didn't skew it's readings.
- With a solid theoretical foundation and a number of prototypes, our engineers hit the dyno. Working with a very well respected tuner, they tested 26 different intake configurations with over 140 dyno pulls. Armed with a massive amount of data, design decisions were made and we moved forward into production. Check out our testing summary for Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.
- In true GrimmSpeed fashion, no corners were cut in the fabrication of each and every one of these intakes. The airbox is laser cut, CNC bent, riveted together and threaded inserts are installed before the entire assembly receives a heavy duty black wrinkle powdercoat. MAF flanges are CNC machined from 6061 aluminum and the intake tube is fabricated from custom bent tubing, made specifically for our application, to provide the perfect MAF diameter. The air straightener is laser cut from the same 6061 material and tumbled before the entire assembly is TIG welded by our expert welders. After welding, each tube is inspected and ported as needed to ensure maximum performance.
- The intake provides gains in horsepower and torque across the entire rev range. This includes gains of 3-4 ftlbs in the "torque dip," and peak gains of 6 horsepower as measured at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics dynomometer (reads lower than the common Dynojet). These gains are not achieved through MAF trickery either, as the air to fuel ratio remains nearly identical to the factory's. Additional gains in the top end can be achieved by modifying your factory snorkel (around 2whp) as shown.
- Some of the best FT86 tuners in the country have had their hands on this intake and the response has been unanimous - they love it. Shiv at Open Flash Tablet has been kind enough to create an off the shelf map specifically paired with the GrimmSpeed intake to maximise gains. He's offered to provide the tune, free of charge, to anybody that owns an Open Flash Tablet. Contact him directly for more information!
- 1x Intake Tube
- 1x High-flow Oiled Filter
- 1x Hump Hose Connector
- 1x Airbox Assembly
- 3x Hose Clamps
- 1x PCV Hose Extension
- 1x PCV Clamp
- 2x MAF Flange Screws
- 3ft Rubber Sealing Strip
- 1x Noise Generator Delete Plug
WARNING: Operating, servicing and maintaining a passenger vehicle or off-road vehicle can expose you to chemicals including engine exhaust, carbon monoxide, phthalates, and lead, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. To minimize exposure, avoid breathing exhaust, do not idle the engine except as necessary, service your vehicle in a well-ventilated area and wear gloves or wash your hands frequently when servicing your vehicle. For more information go to https://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/passenger-vehicle.
Need Help with this product?
Chat with our staff using our Live Chat, Call us at 303.402.5142 or Email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Products ship within 2 days.
Friendly return policy because our priority is making sure you have the right product.